Your backyard pool is the center of family life and entertainment. It not only gives aesthetic appeal to your outdoor living, but gives you an opportunity for recreation as well. Proper pool maintenance is evident when your pool looks sparkling and inviting.
Why should I acid wash my pool?
Acid wash is one of the various actions that are taken for pool cleaning and pool maintenance. The best way to find out if you need to acid wash your pool is to notice whether the color of your pool is same as it was when you had it built. If the color has changed, you should consider an acid wash. There are a number of things that can change the color of your swimming pool plaster such as algae, leaves, calcium build up, rust etc. If you are disappointed with the appearance of your pool plaster, an acid wash may be the only solution.
How many days are required to complete the Pool Acid Washing work?
Pool acid wash can be completed in one to two days.
How to acid wash your swimming pool?
- Start draining water from your pool. As the water level drops, remove the debris and scrub the sides with a pool brush.
- Put on protective clothes, chemical goggles and rubber boots when pool is empty. Also have a breathing mask to escape from acid fumes.
- Mix one gallon of muriatic acid with one gallon of water in a pump sprayer or a garden watering can. Take care to always add acid to the water, never water into acid.
- Wet the pool walls with your garden hose and pour the acid/water mixture down the side of the pool.
- Let the acid do its work for half a minute and then scrub the walls with an acid brush
- Thoroughly rinse the area again and then move to another part of the pool wall.
- Move around the pool and repeat the process on all sides of the pool.
- Make sure that you thoroughly wash the pool walls so that there are no traces of acid left.
- Neutralize the acid-wash water in the bottom of the pool by adding at least two pounds of soda ash for each gallon of acid.
- Pump the neutralized water into a storm drain with the help of a submersible pump.
- Repeat a rinse, with clear water, pump it into a storm drain and refill your freshly cleaned pool.
Is it OK to Acid Wash the pool myself?
The typical pool acid wash process involves tasks that are best performed by experienced and skilled professionals. This requires experience, skill and attention to detail to apply it properly. Do it yourself mistakes can occur that could be permanent and could reduce the market value of your home.
Is it worth using a professional to perform Pool Acid Washing work?
The do it yourself approach can complicate and delay the acid wash process. If you hire a pool professional, you can relax knowing that the acid wash is being done properly. The skill and experience of a certified pool operator greatly speeds and simplifies the acid wash process and minimizes the delays. Hiring a pool service professional can significantly reduce completion time and the risks associated with the process.
Our certified pool operators take care to return your pool to a sparkling oasis and will help keep it that way. Call Pool Doctor of the Palm Beaches to discuss your pool service or pool maintenance needs. If you think your pool needs an acid wash, click here.