How to Correctly Handle Pool Chemicals
Pool safety procedures includes proper handling, storage and use of pool chemicals. There are a number of chemicals that are used in pools to keep them clean and disinfected. Chemicals are used to keep pool water sanitized and to maintain pH balance, alkalinity and calcium levels in the pool. Pool chemicals tend to be corrosive and need to be handled properly.
Here are some tips to help you manage your pool safety plan using chemicals properly without causing any health hazards to yourself and others:
Pool Safety Storing Chemicals
- Always store pool chemicals in a cool and dry place (such as shed), protected from direct sunlight.
- Make sure that your storage area has proper ventilation. Humidity can cause vapors to build up inside chemical containers.
- Never stack containers or place the chemical at a height above your head.
- Be sure to note that you do not storing acids and oxidizers. They can end up having a chemical reaction and release dangerous gases as a result.
- Make sure that you keep them out of the reach of children.
- Do not store pool chemicals in anything other than their original containers.
- Do not use the containers of pool chemicals to store anything else. Traces of the chemicals are absorbed by the plastic no matter how much you clean it. These chemicals might end up reacting with the new chemical that you put in.
Pool Safety – Chemical Usage and Handling
- Always wear chemical resistant gloves while handling these chemicals. Contact with skin may cause a reaction. Wash your hands thoroughly once you are done handling the chemicals.
- Read and follow the instructions on the label very carefully. Mishandling of the chemicals can cause a variety of health problems.
- Handle chemicals in well ventilated areas as some chemicals may release fumes
- When adding more than one chemical to your pool, add them to the water separately. Dangerous chemical reactions can occur when chemicals are mixed.
- While pool chemicals are not flammable in and of themselves, they will react violently with flammable chemicals. Therefore, keep pool chemicals away from flammable ones.
Why risk household accidents that can be hazardous to your family’s health when pool chemicals are stored or used incorrectly? To improve Pool Safety, contact the experts at Pool Doctor of the Palm Beaches for pool cleaning and pool maintenance without the hassle or click here.