Imagine this: You had a long, hard day at work. All you want to do is come home, put on your swimsuit, and relax by your pool. But something’s off: the water level seems much lower than usual. It was a hot day; you think maybe the low water is simply due to evaporation. Then again, maybe there’s a leak somewhere. How can you tell? There is an easy method you can use for inground swimming pool leak detection.
Three Easy Steps for Swimming Pool Leak Detection
- Put a bucket of water on the top step of the pool or in the shallowest part of the pool; make sure the bucket is filled to the same level as the pool.
- Put a mark to show the water level inside the bucket, and put another mark on the outside that shows the pool water level (they should be at the same height).
- Wait two to three days, and mark the new water levels. If the water inside the bucket is now higher than the pool level, you likely have a leak that needs to be dealt with.
Your Pool Is Leaking — Now What?
Now that you know how to detect a pool leak, what do you do with that information? From here, you have several options. Feel free to call Pool Doctor of the Palm Beaches; we will be happy to help you locate and fix the leak. If you’d like to locate the leak on your own, here are a few common culprits to check on:
- If you have a fiberglass or vinyl pool, check for cracks and tears in the pool liner.
- Check for visible leaks around the pump and filter.
- Check the skimmer for cracks.
- Put a plug in the bottom drain as well as the pipe leading from the skimmer to the drain; mark the water level, leave it for one to two days, and check the level again; more than half an inch difference probably means there is a leak in the bottom drain.
If you are a real do-it-yourselfer, there are books and online resources that can help you fix most leaks; just be sure to follow instructions carefully! Alternatively, you can call us for a free quote and let our swimming pool leaks repair specialists take care of the hard part, so you can get back to enjoying your pool in comfort.